Writing a great website design brief
If you’re planning a new website and would like us to help, the more we know about your company the more effective a product we can deliver for you. So whether you want to write and submit a full brief, or just prepare your thoughts before talking to us, the notes below are a great place for you to start:
- Describe your company in a short paragraph.
- What do you sell / services do you provide?
- What 3 single words best describe your business?
- What 3 single words would your customers use to describe you?
- Who are your closest competitors – local & national?
- Who do you aspire to compete against?
- What makes your company different from your competitors?
- Is your business growing or changing?
- Do you want your business to grow or change – and in what way?
- What’s your website used for, i.e Research, Pricing, eCommerce, Getting your contact details?
- Who are your customers – public / trade?
- What is the average age of your customers?
- What business type are your clients?
- How do your customers usually hear about you?
- What percentage of customers are repeat trade?
Your current website
- What works well on your current website?
- What doesn’t work well on your current website?
- Do you want to retain anything from your current website?
- How many visits does your website get?
- What percentage of website visits are from mobile devices?
- How frequently does your site generate sales or real enquiries?
- How much time do you currently devote to keeping your website up to date?
- How much time would you commit to keeping your new website up to date?
The new website
- What do you want to achieve with a new website?
- What functionality does the website require?
- Is the new website part of a re-brand, or new product?
- List a few competitors’ websites.
- List a few websites you like or think work well.
- Do you have a timescales you need to work to?
- Is your brand established and will it inform the new website?
- Do you need to consider a new brand or logo before the new website?
- Do you have any other marketing materials that will be relevant to the new website design?
- How do you intend to launch and market your new website?
- Is your website part of a wider marketing drive?
- Do you have an ongoing digital strategy?